Sunday, November 17, 2013

What Do You Want To Do?

A few weeks ago, there was a strike within the schools, so all of the classes that I assist in at the high school were very small. In one of the classes I help in, instead of going about a usual lesson, we took the time to talk about other things, and fell upon the topic of what the kids wanted to do/if they knew what they wanted to do when they grew up. Of the 15 students in class that day, eight were able to say with certainty what they wanted to do in the future. I was pretty surprised by this number, considering that I am now 24, and it took me until I was about 22 or 23 to figure it out. So for me to hear a 12-year old say they already know made me feel a bit skeptical and sick, but also happy and excited.

A few said they wanted to be architects, one girl a psychiatrist, and then some other occupations that I no longer remember. This made me feel hopeful for them, especially those who said they want to be an architect, since in Spain that is a very hard job to come by right now. I was really pleased for these kids who have figured out what they want to concentrate on. That is going to make their paths so much smoother as far as education and where to place their motivation goes. But my heart went out to those students who almost looked guilty when they said they didn't know what they want to do with their lives.

As someone who spent most of her life freaking out because I didn't know what I wanted to do, but was somehow expected to know (thank you, society), I understood completely the predicament these little 12-year olds were in. And to see someone so young looking apologetic because they didn't have an answer like some of their peers, was enough to get my fire going. I was sure to reassure them that they didn't need to worry about that right now, that they are still so young and have time to figure it out, and then, I'm not sure it if it will help or hurt them, but reassured them that I am 24, and I just barely figured it out. And while I realize life is certainly a bit easier if you know what it is you want to do and can follow a path, I also feel it is a grave mistake not to explore the world and yourself before you make such weighted decisions.

Our society is so keen on basing the worth of a person on what they have done, are doing, and are going to do. One of the first questions that anyone is ever asked these days is, "What is it that you do?" Why is this so important?? I mean, maybe if the answer is, "kill people," "smuggle drugs and children," or "help feed the hungry," then yeah, that's good information to know, but why? So we can form an opinion of this person before we get to know the condition of their heart? All these titles are just designed to make us feel better or worse than whoever is around us, give us something to judge and categorize them and ourselves with, and to keep us in this "us" and "them" mentality. We've gotta stop this nonsense. It's not what counts.

Instead of asking someone what they want to do or be when they grow up, we should be asking them what kind of person they want to be, how they plan to treat others, and if they maybe have any weird inventions in their minds that they are too scared to believe in. (Hey, think about a kid's wild imagination... you don't think we could pull some insanely useful things from all that splash?) As adults, we are in a blessed and powerful position with kids. Most of what a person does is a result of some act of imitation and input. If we can just infuse them with love and goodness, imagine what we'll get out!

Life is a gorgeous thing, and we are flooded with opportunities to make the world a better place in every single moment of it. Let's begin to take advantage of those little suckers and max out the beauty this place (mind, body, soul, earth, universe, whatever, however, whomever) has to offer! I'm ready to see the lid blow off this life -- I think I've been boiling for a long time, and more often than not, there's those massive bubbles that burst right over the edge, but I'm ready to just let it rip and tear this universe up with goodness. Anyone want to join me? Let's chat. Let's create. Let's come up with something lovely that can help us to help others. Let's make a friggin' difference, eh!? :)


I am so overly-full of love, my cup is overflowing with love and energy, and I want you all to know I let it flow out at an insanely rapid rate, just so it can reach you! It is yours!! Please take it, and make with it what you will, but always pay it forward! 
[[A smile is all it takes to change a life!]]

Endless Blessings, Love & Light to you all <3

No comments:

Post a Comment