Saturday, March 16, 2013

Today's Life Lesson: Never Too Old, Still so Young

I'm not sure if it's the way they've created the world to be, that some of us get to a certain point in our lives where we think it's too late to learn something, but I've realized that I have thought this so often about things. For example, last night, I was in my favorite spot in Sevilla to pass the night, and ended up stumbling upon (not literally..haha) the most amazing live music I've heard in a long time. The singer/guitarist was Renny Jackson, and he was playing with Ian Scionti on the flamenco guitar, and another guy, who was playing a flamenco percussion box (drum that you sit on and hit). It was such beautiful music -- a combination of folk, bluegrass, and flamenco -- and I had so many closed-eyes moments of joy.

The flamenco percussion box is something that I tried before on a different night in Los Corralones, and while I did not have the hang of it, I really enjoyed sitting on it and hitting away to make music. Watching it be played last night, and seeing all the different rhythms that can be created with it, made me really think about how much I want to learn to play it. I was also very intrigued by the flamenco guitar, and decided I want to learn that as well. I had decided before coming to Sevilla that I wanted to learn to play the Spanish guitar and to flamenco dance, and those are still on my bucket list, but now even more, I want to learn the flamenco guitar or the banjo.

I have never played an instrument before, my only experience has been a few failed ukelele lessons my first year at uni, but always adored music and watching people make it. But I think that at some point, I thought I had become too old to start learning how to play an instrument, because today I had the most profound realization...

I am so young, I have my entire life ahead of me, it is never too late to learn something new, and it may take time to learn, but I have my entire life to learn and practice!

I do not know why this message came through so clearly to me now, as though I've never had this thought before, but this has been today's lesson in my life.

I am thrilled about this new hunger that I feel inside of me to learn many things. I want to finish learning Spanish, and then learn Portuguese and Italian (since they are very similar to Spanish), and then I want to go on and learn French. I'd also like to learn Japanese at some point, and perhaps German as well. (And when I live in Belize, I fully intend to learn to speak their language. It's such a cool mix of languages, it will be incredible to speak it.) And now, I want to learn how to play some musical instruments. Also, I am going to learn how to wrap crystals, so I can make them and send them off to my friends around the globe.

There are so many cool things to learn [about] in life, and I am only 24-years old, with a full, amazing life ahead of me, so I am going to learn a lot of things! Why stop learning? We're never complete, we don't get to a certain point in our lives where we know all and are perfect, so why not spend each day learning something new?

Ahh, such an amazing feeling I have inside of me right now -- I can feel my heart chakra ablaze!

What do YOU want to learn?


<3




No comments:

Post a Comment