Monday, November 28, 2011

Motivation Statement!

Alright, alright, so I have to change my deadline for when I will have this application turned in for going to Spain. I requested an official transcript today (one of the documents I need to submit), and it won't be ready until December 7th. Which I figure isn't far off, and will give whoever I decide to ask to write the letter of recommendation, some time to do so. 

I thought I would share with you all another little part of the application. I was instructed to write, in 300 words or less, a statement that explains my motivation for wanting to participate in the program. And since I will be taking all of you along for this lovely ride, I figured you might want to know also! So without further a due, here is my motivation statement...

             I was blessed enough to be able to take my third year of university abroad in Bilbao, Spain, where I lived and studied for nine months. During that time I developed strong and real relationships with locals in Spain, as well as the other countries that I traveled. I gained a more global perspective, appreciation for all the differences in life, and realization of just how great and big the world around me is. Ever since my return to the United States I’ve known that my time abroad isn’t over quite yet.

Deep down I know that there is more for me to accomplish before I can be satisfied and settled in the U.S. I did not master Spanish in the way I expected, and need to go back so I can become fluent. Submersion is the key to learning a language and this program provides the perfect opportunity for me to do so. As well as a desire to become bilingual, studying abroad left me with a hunger for travel and thirst for culture. There is nothing in the world like learning about someone else’s culture and experiencing it.

I want to be involved in this program in order to share my language and culture with the students in the way that everyone I met abroad did with me. I think that when we have experienced other cultures and understand them, we develop respect for them. This respect is invaluable because it will help a person to be open-minded. With all that is going on in the world, we need to teach the young minds to appreciate and accept different languages, cultures, and people. I want to make a positive change in the world and help bring people together through learning about one another.


Enjoy the rest of your night, or day depending on where in the world you are reading this :) 




Today's Quote: "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -Mark Twain

"Art After Dark" at the Guggenheim Museum, one of my first weekends in Bilbao


No comments:

Post a Comment