Saturday, February 1, 2014

Progress Report on My Four for 2014

For awhile, each morning when I was writing in my devotional/prayer journal, I would write the date, and I would say to myself a little, "Oh my gosh, I can't believe it's already x day of the month. I can't believe another day has come and gone, and we're already into the next one! Time moves SO FAST!"

I'm not really sure why I would do this, but it went on for two or three months, and it really was freaking me out. I think originally my thought was that, by reminding myself how quickly the days pass, I should and would try to live each one as fully as I possibly could, and not let one go to waste. But instead of it making me think, "What shall I do today that will make it really count?", I was left freaking out that already the time had come to write another day down! So I stopped doing this when I was home, because I didn't want to think about how quickly my numbered days in California would pass, and I've not started doing it again since. And it has helped!

The urge is still there to think, "another one," when I write the date, but instead of letting myself be like, "holy crap, on to the next one already," I just smile and remind myself that time is slowing down. (Which, as I've learned, it seems to pass more slowly when I tell myself this, and also just remain in the moment.) But since we are now in February, I thought it would be nice to do a little "One Month Check-Up" on our resolutions!

My Four for 2014 were:

  1. No cussing
  2. No drugs
  3. Do more of God's work
  4. Let go, and move on
1. No cussing -- this one has, surprisingly, been the hardest of them all to do. Through deciding that I would not cuss this year, I've come to realize just how much I actually like to cuss. And usually, for no reason, and to myself. I love to just say the F-word to myself in any given situation, and then laugh about it. But, also through trying to quit the habit, I've realized the times that I tend to cuss around others are: a) after a couple beers, b) when I'm super relaxed (aka speaking native English), and c) when I'm being lazy. I've pinpointed it to be, ultimately, something that happens when I am just too lazy to come up with a more intelligent way of saying what I want to say. Which can be hard, because sometime, those phrasal insults that involve swear words really have a meaning that can't be so easily expressed otherwise. Overall: still working on it. Potentially doing better, but there's still much work to be done.

2. No drugs -- this has been incredibly easy, considering that my friends here don't do drugs, I don't know where to find or buy them, and I just really don't care to do or take any. So, this has been, by far, the easiest of my resolutions. Overall: MAJOR success, and even better, still no desire for them! (We'll see how bad the temptation is when I'm actually around them though. . .)

3. Do more of God's work -- well, I wouldn't say that I've gone out and done a bunch of mission work since the new year began, but I am going to church tomorrow for the first time in my nearly two years of living-abroad-life, so we'll see what opportunities arise! And, through meeting new people, having loads of couchsurfers, and getting out in the world a bit more, I'm a far more open person that I think I was last year, and this causes me to gush out love with an incredible force, ultimately resulting in me serving God's greatest purpose for our human lives -- to love one another. Overall: doing quite well, and am looking forward to what opportunities come following me finding a church. (Which was part of this overall new year goal.)

4. Let go, and move on -- well, I'm not sure how many of you read this post about moving on and letting go, but, I can say this has been far easier and smoother than I thought it would be. I have had one serious breakdown, upon realizing something quite with a lot of impact and depth, but I am definitely traveling steadily and happily down my path, without excessive looking back and dwelling. Overall: succeeding!

So, that's where I'm at with my Four for 2014, how about you? Did you set any resolutions or goals for the year? And if so, how are you holding up with them? Hopefully they, you, and all, is just splendid!


Loads of Blessings, Love & Light to you all. 
I love you, I adore you, I wouldn't exist and be me without you! 
Thank you for sharing the globe with me! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment