Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Awkward Moments Chapter 1: Elevators

Everyone encounters them throughout their life and has to deal with them at some time or another. That's right, I'm talking about awkward moments. Because I just started a new job I have become increasingly aware of all the different kinds of awkward moments that we have to face, and therefore have decided to embark on a mini-series if you will all about them! 

Everyone who is put in an awkward situation is left with the same exact feelings and tends to react in the same ways-- discomfort, uncertainty, and a dash of uncomfortable, then you throw in the awkward smile/grin, diverted eyes, or sudden need to check your cellular, and there you are, in an awkward moment thinking "uhhh..what should I do/say now?"

I find it only appropriate to begin this journey down Awkward Lane with elevators. Every single day I ride the elevator up 8 floors and back down again at least once, and I have only had one experience that differs from the normal awkward situation I described above. An elevator is a very close, compact space which means you are in relatively close proximity to the others around you, regardless whether you know them or not. I have found that generally people do not speak in elevators, even if they are among friends, but then when someone is exiting, you bid each other a due and wish them a good day. Very friendly and very conversational in comparison to the last few minutes you shared. 

The most interesting thing for me is that I can be packed wall-to-wall in an elevator with friends, but unless there is a camera out and mirrors inside, we rarely speak. When I was in Vegas a few weekends back we all piled into an elevator, and fell silent. There's just something about them that makes people turn into a deaf-mute.

The worst is when there are only two of you in it. When it is down to the final two how do you react? Do you ask them how their day is going or how they are doing? Do you pretend they aren't there at all and continue to watch the numbers light up and pass by above the door? Or do you just close your eyes and take the moment as a calming and relaxing one? There are so many ways to react in these elevator situations. I had a pleasurable elevator moment yesterday on my adventure to Floor 8. There were a number of us in the elevator and when the third person exited, leaving myself and another woman, I simply said, "And then there were two." She responded with a good amount of laughter and said, "That's a good title." Not going to lie, in my head I immediately had visions of myself as a television or movie writer of some sort, even if just the show titles. Because I work in the entertainment industry, I validate this thought as completely normal. :)

So there you have it, the beginning of my first mini-series (because clearly the Guilty Pleasures one failed to ever make it past Chapter 1). Expect many more of these posts, and please feel free to write me with any awkward situations you can think of or moments you have had, I am always looking to have a good laugh at the expense of someone else's awkwardness. ;)

Today's Quote: This is completely made up off the top of my head right now simply because I have been manifest destiny-ing a lot of things in my life lately. So I really just want to say... "Manifest your destiny! Dream it, believe it, and you shall no doubt achieve it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment