Thursday, March 29, 2012

Awkward Moments Chapter 3: Pulling Out

If you opened this with the expectation that I would be talking about something of a sexual nature, then I am sorry to have to disappoint you, but that is not what this chapter is about. When I say "pulling out," I am referring to when you are in your car. Those times when you are at a stop sign and no one seems to want to go, (even though we [should] all know that the person on the right goes first) so you all start going at once and do the gas-break-[dip;]-gas-break dance till someone grows a pair and decides, "I'll be the one, geez!" Or those other times when you are in your car and there is a pedestrian who can't make up their mind if they're in a hurry, can wait a few, or if they're even at the right intersection, so you usually end up almost hitting them because you decide to go at the same time. And there's also those times when you and another car are situated and they're waiting for you to pull out and make your turn so they can make theirs, but they're still in motion, so you can't really tell what's going on or what you're supposed to do.

This, like umbrella etiquette, is something that seems so simple and understandable, yet we all struggle with it and are forced to face these situations time and time again. I would like to pose some solutions to the aforementioned problems.

For instance, when you are at a stop sign and no one seems to want to go, WAVE to each other to signal one another. Some people just sit there and act like there's nothing going on, expecting you to read their mind or something and figure out what they want from you. If everyone would just pick their heads up and turn on their brains to a little higher level of functionality, we could probably avoid this frustrating scenario.

Next a note for all pedestrians: YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. If it is you v. vehicle, go ahead! Unless you are one of those horribly obnoxious people that thinks the world is your crosswalk and you can just mosey on across the street at whatever snail-pace suits you, with no regard for the people around you, then you need to get a grip and realize that it is not your world and I'm not just living in it, we share, and I am in something that could decimate you. Thanksss. And do not get mad and in a tissy at me because you waited so long to make your move that I decided to make mine, coincidentally when you finally begin to move, and we almost have a scene out of "Crash" on our hands. But again, here a simple wave or gesture of "no, you go ahead," would be quite suitable and alleviate many of the problems we have. It would probably save some lives in the process. Win, win? I think so!

And finally, for those people who expect you to make your left or right turn while they are still moving towards you in the process of making their right turn, even though there is clearly not a wide enough space for two cars to fit by, STOP. They're called breaks, and we could all benefit from an increase in their use. You can't look at me and wave me forward when you are still moving, we will never both fit. At least not in our non-Inspector Gadget cars.

Problems and solutions, people! We've all got em, and I am here to try and fix them. ;-)

I apologize that it has been so long since my last post, and that this one holds a certain sense of hostility, but I do live in LA now, and my writing tone is always influenced by what I am reading and watching. Which is currently Harry Potter #5 (no, not rereading, just finally reading), and since I spent my entire lunch hour yesterday watching Jenna Marbles videos on Youtube...... Well, you get where I'm going with this. And if not, Google her, watch her, laugh, and love.

Today's Quote: "A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road." Henry Ward Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment