Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love Is In The Air

Welp it's that time of year again folks. The day that generates an absurd amount of revenue for the floral, candy, jewelry, card, and all other things romantic, industries. The day when shades of red and pink cover every surface in every supermarket, convenience store, or shop, and you can't escape the cheesy and horrible commercials on TV. Anyone in a relationship will flaunt it to the max, and all those lonely singles out there will wallow and hide, trying to escape the constant reminder that they don't have a lover sending them bouquets of roses and boxes of chocolates. And then there are the select few of us singles, who don't mind at all and are surprisingly content in our solo state.

Sure I say that Valentine's Day is a completely over commercialized crock like everyone else, but let's face it...if I were in a relationship, I would be going all out for the day just like anyone else. Now don't twist my words, this isn't to say that I wish I had that opportunity, I'm just being honest about how all of us singles feel, but are reluctant to say. We say we hate the day, but we know deep down if we had someone to share it with, we wouldn't feel that way. (See what I mean? The V-day spirit has taken over my body and I'm now spitting out rhymes! My gosh they're sneaky!)

I think that the reason I love Valentine's Day so much is because of how great it is when you're growing up. I realize that for some it may not have been a box of warm fuzzies, but in all my classes growing up, everyone had one. It was always so exciting to go to the market with my mom and pick out the Valentine's Day cards that I would be passing out to each of my classmates on the special day. There was always the really big one to give to your special crush, and those that you didn't care for too much to give to those kids you weren't so crazy about. The candy flowed like waterfalls and the buzz in the air was one of excitement and fun. And it was always so great when you realized that no one else had passed out the same cards you did! Ah yes, Valentine's Day is such a grand holiday when we're young, and then we stop showing love to EVERYONE around us, and stop enjoying the day as much. Interesting coincidence, don't you think? I think that for the majority of people, at least in the United States, we will always have some fond memories of this lover's day, and we can try to deny our passion for it as much as we want. But the bottom line is, everyone likes to feel loved, and make others feel loved as well. Enjoy your V-day people, and remember to live each day like it's your last!


Today's Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge." -Thomas Carlyle

No comments:

Post a Comment