Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sign Me Up

You know how everyone has their own little things that they're "obsessed" with? Ok, well even if you don't (not sure how...), you're about to. For some it's boats, others it's shoes, for a few it's feet, and others might prefer pasta, wildlife, the ocean, birds, or houses. Everyone has something that they are drawn to and interested in for seemingly no reason, and to be honest, all of the aforementioned are little obsessions of mine (minus the foot thing, sorry if you love em, but that shiz is nastttt). But in this particular case, I'm talking about what people are obsessed with taking pictures of.

Today I went on a walk in the sun to snap some shots, and came to realize that there was a pattern in the objects I was shooting. It made me think about how each person that is known for photography seems to have their niche or certain subject matter that makes them famous or who they are. For me, there is one thing that I have always been fairly fascinated by and desired...signs.


I've always been the kind of person to want a big stop sign in my house, envy my friends who have them or other acquired signs, and spend an odd amount of time photographing/noticing them wherever I go. I'm really not sure what it is about them, but I think it has something to do with all the different colors, symbols, shapes, styles, and meanings that they can be or represent. The one in the picture above caught my eye because it is pretty decrepit looking. I love that a couple of the letters are missing and that the paint is chipped off. (Just ignore the tagging on the back, as I mentioned, these photos were taken during my walk today...in Stockton.) Speaking of my walk, here are more photos that I took while traveling the levy walking path that is near my parents' house, and you'll never guess what they're of ;)






See? They're pretty interesting, right? Ok, maybe not to you, but I enjoy looking at them. :) There are so many variations of signs, and especially fascinating to look at while traveling around different places, at least to me. Everyone has their something, signs just happen to be one of mine. Just another little glimpse into the oddities of my life for ya! And now I retire to bed, I've been fighting this damn cold for a week now and am determined to win! So have a great night, day, or afternoon, and think about it.. what are the strange things you tend to be drawn to in life?

Today's Quote: "A picture is a poem without words." -Horace

No comments:

Post a Comment