Monday, July 2, 2012

Age Matters

The more I talk to older people the more I realize that, at 20, you don't really know anything, not even as much as you think you do about yourself (which for me is very little, so I can only imagine how little I actually know based off this theory); at 30, you're starting to get the hang of it, but you're still young, hot, and having fun; at 40, you know a lot more about who you are, and can be pretty confident in what you know and decide, but you're also entering that crazy crisis time where you're freaking out about turning 40, (so don't trust yourself just yet); and at 50, you finally have got it down! This is mostly based off of a conversation I had with my uncle and their friend, in which she pretty much iterated everything I just re...iterated.

The good news is this: we (those of my age) can live the next, eh, 20 years or so in almost total ignorance, act younger than we should, and get away with it because no one over 35/40 is expecting much else anyways (woo-hoo, silver lining!).
The bad news: we have to wait (in my case) 27 more years until we really know what's up, not just with ourselves, but with life in general.

I know a lot of people tend to completely freak out about the idea of getting older, but I for one am really looking forward to aging. (I mean, I think after 65 I'll be ready to throw in the towel, because then things start to really get difficult, but anything prior to that seems just dandy.) Many people think that turning 30 is going to be the death of them, but I am stoked about 30! Just like I was beyond ready to turn 22 or 23 and be out of the 21-zone. Twenty-one is a great age because it allows us Americans to legally drink in our country, but actually being 21 is fairly overrated. You're a rookie, a total noob in the bar and club scene, but once you're 22 or 23, you have a sense of it all and people don't just look at you "as a 21-year old."

Yep, 30, 40, and even 50 I think will be amazing. I fully intend to be young, wild, and free my whole life, become a massive hippie-traveler and just explore the earth, and age will not limit that! Each year of my life has continued to get better, and better, and shows no signs of slowing down, so what reason would I have to dread more years to come? Exactly, I don't, and I thank the Lord for that every day! Especially when you consider all the wisdom and knowledge that comes with age. It's amazing to talk to older people and hear/see the difference. I genuinely would enjoy my life if I spent it solely around those who are 40-years and over. Plus, they're so much more sophisticated!

Age matters only in what you learn through the experiences you have in life, but I also know it is possible to be wise beyond your years. But for now, I will end with that, and likely retouch the subject in the near future (like probably tomorrow's post near-future;).


Today's Thought: Is life measured by the years you have lived, or the experiences you've had? I know some people who will surely grow old but have little to show for it because they haven't truly lived, and many young people who have knowledge that surpasses many older folks because they've done nothing but [live]. Interesting eh, how many options and ways things can be viewed?

Enjoi Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment